Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Graduation "I Believe" Speech

                                                         "A Fight Amongst Friends"

Friends fight, friends yell, friends hate, but friends love.  I believe that all good friendships experience conflict.  At about 5 pm a week or two ago, it was a sweltering, humid day, and droplets of sweat ran down my face as some friends and I played basketball.  The sound of the bouncing ball and shouting teammates filled the air, as shoes scuffed against the concrete below us.  We were having a great time, just shooting around in a friends backyard, at least until it got competitive.  It started out as one other kid and I arguing about sports, but it escalated very quickly, and it did not turn well.  However,  just a few days after it had happened, appropriate apologies were said and we were pretty much right back to normal.

After the whole experience, I came to the realization that fighting amongst friends is normal.  Although conflict is never desired, it’s definitely inevitable between close friends.  This whole experience kind of changed the way I thought about what friendship is.  Before this occured, I never really could picture such good friends becoming that angry at each other, but now I understand that it isn’t unusual at all.  In similar future experiences, I’ll know not to instigate or react to any attacking comments towards me, but will also understand that sometimes there’s no stopping something from happening.  That is why I believe in conflict within friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment