Thursday, April 16, 2015

Analyze your performance in Battle of the Books 4-16-15

Prompt:  Analyze your performance in Battle of the Books

Date:  4-16-15

Commented on:  Joseph H., Evie C., and Giovanna G.

          Although I was reluctant to join in the first place, I feel that Battle of the Books has done a lot of good for me.  (That is, besides the extra-credit).  For those of you that don't know, Battle of the Books is basically a competition where you read books from a list, as a team, and then answer questions about the book in a trivia event against other groups.

          First off, knowing that I had a responsibility to fulfill for my team, I was motivated to read more books than I normally would on average.  Also, I tend to read books and not really think too much about the content or what everything means, I just go with the story.  However, with Battle of the Books, you have to memorize authors, and be able to remember quotes, or other important details from the stories.  Therefore, skimming quickly through the books isn't going to get you anywhere.  You have to carefully analyze and examine what you're reading.  I feel like this new way of reading for me isn't going to just leave me now, I think I've developed a habit and now I might be more aware to what I'm reading.

        I know for a fact that with my friends and I, along with a plethora of other students I'm sure, we have a natural competitive natural about us, and don't like to lose, or give up easily.  This way, I think we're feel more obligated to do our best.  During the competition, we divided the books up evenly amongst ourselves, and we have to relay the correct answer to our captain for them to say to the judges.  That part of the contest really helped us work well as a team and it incorporated teamwork into the whole thing.

          Even though we didn't do the greatest in the contest, we improved from last year and did pretty well with doing each of our parts.  I'm proud of my team, and maybe we'll do it over again next year.

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog! I remember all of that maybe because it was only Wednesday but that's not the point. I felt exactly the same during battle of the books.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Sam. I like your word choice, and yes we did do a good job on keeping our part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, felt similar to what you did. Even though I wasn't the team captain answering every single question my heart pounded a million times a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reflection! Do Battle next year!!!

    ReplyDelete